Q: What do you do when you’re not sure what you want? Everyone says to focus on your goals. What if you have several competing interests, and thus really do not know what your passion is? I feel so stuck! I don’t know how to move forward. Can you give me some suggestions for how to get out of this rut?
A: You’re obviously listening to it because you’re able to identify some of your passion(s.) Who says there needs to be just one? Why not pursue them all?! Many of us (including me!) have multiple aptitudes. Wouldn’t it be great if a big, booming voice from above would clearly announce the best path to follow in life? Well, there is a voice. It just speaks a little softer. It’s called intuition.
Someone once said that too many people quit just a step away from achieving success. Here’s a plan to get out of that rut while you work in harmony with your intuition.
Focus on your interests. When you think of an ideal day, week, month or year, what are you doing with your life?
Develop a plan. What are the small steps you can begin to take that will lead you in the direction you want to go? “A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step.” Take that first step, and then take another. Opportunities will begin to show up that show you a new path.
If you get off track, be willing to change. What are you doing that’s on the mark? If one way doesn’t work for you, be ready to go another. Many times, the road to success is found by taking a detour.
Cultivate the attitude of a wish fulfilled. Success is waiting for you — feel it, see it, vividly imagine it, sense it, and grasp it.
Don’t dwell on the old. Put your mental energy and action into focusing on where you want to go.
Look ahead, rather than back. Ask yourself, “How will I view this circumstance six months or a year from now?” Put your focus on what you have the power to change rather than dwelling on an apparent failure.
How will you know when you’re succeeding? Success isn’t a destination. It’s a journey. Here’s a checklist:
- Are you enjoying what you do?
- Are your connections with friends, colleagues and family strengthened by your success?
- Are you proud of your accomplishments thus far?
- In the process of achieving your goals are you developing the qualities of kindness, self-respect, courage, compassion, patience, love and hope?
- Do you feel more in control of yourself and your life?
- Are you able to shift negative self-talk to something more positive and useful?
- Has your spiritual life been enriched through the process of achieving this goal?
- Are you being of service to others?
- Are you more self-confident and sure of your capabilities as the result of pursuing this dream?
- Are you continuing to stretch just beyond your comfort zone?
- Are you easily able to shift direction if the course you’ve been on isn’t working?
- Are you consistently listening to your inner guidance and following its wisdom?
- If you answered yes to most or all of these questions, you are a success!
When you’ve put a lot of hard work into an endeavor and it’s not going as you planned, it’s hard to step back and assess the situation. Is there something that you feel you’re “failing” at in your life? The following questions will help you put some perspective on your experience.
- What can you learn from this?
- What are you doing right?
- What outcome will make you feel you’re successful?
- Where did this begin to go wrong?
- What do you wish you had done differently?
- What is your intuition telling you to do about this situation?
After answering the above questions, do you feel there’s a different way to approach your project or endeavor? Depending on the issue, you have several options. You could:
- Alter your course.
- Put the project on hold for a period of time.
- Try something new.
- Ask for advice from someone who has been successful in a similar endeavor.
- Work on your project part-time.
- Discuss the situation with others who may be involved.
Which of these options feels best to you? You can choose more than one and your intuition may present you with even more choices than listed here. Trust your gut and good luck with your new endeavors!
Lynn A. Robinson, M.Ed., is a leading expert on the topic of intuition. Through her work as an Intuitive Advisor, she’s helped thousands of people discover their life passion and achieve their goals. Voted “Best Intuitive” by Boston Magazine, she’s also a bestselling author whose latest book is Put Your Intuition to Work.
She’s also the author of Divine Intuition: Your Inner Guide to Purpose, Peace and Prosperity and LISTEN: Trusting Your Inner Voice in Times of Crisis. To learn more about her books and intuitive readings, visit http://LynnRobinson.com.
Click here to learn more or to make an appointment on my online calendar.