I’m 48 years old and you would think that, by now, I would have figured out what I want to be when I grow up! I’m so confused about my career and how to make things happen in my life. I’ve tried many different things and nothing seems to announce itself as the ONE right choice. I just feel stuck. Can you shed some light on this issue?
You’re not alone on this! One of the questions I’m asked most frequently is, “What’s my purpose in life?” I think we should have been born with some kind of card attached to us that says, “Welcome to earth. Here’s what you’re here to learn and contribute!” At the very least, God should appear from the heavens with a big megaphone announcing our purpose! I know that there are many wonderful books and classes out there that claim to help you make your dreams come true, but what if you seem to have no big objectives or aspirations? Or, as you state, you’ve tried so many things and they all still feel wrong. Your intuition can help you in a significant way with this dilemma.
Your inner guidance continually informs you about your life purpose through things and events that make you happy. Paying attention to these is the first step in beginning to create a larger dream. When you take one step in the direction of saying “yes” to what you love, the Universe rushes in with help, guidance, and miracles.
Here are some questions to get you started:
- What are you doing when time seems to fly by?
- What do you look forward to doing on the weekends or on a vacation?
- When you think of someone who has a “dream job,” what do they do?
- If money were no object, what kind of work would you love to do?
- If your boss told you she’d give you a year off to contribute to the community in some way, what would you choose to do?
- What are your hobbies?
- What are you naturally good at?
- Who inspires you and why?
- What causes do you feel strongly about. Examples are homelessness, green energy, spirituality, and healing.
Write the answers to the above questions quickly and from your heart, not your head. Don’t ask yourself how you could make a living at these things. That comes later. No one else has to read this, so don’t edit! I realize that the answer to any of those questions is not necessarily going to evoke instant clarity about either your vocation or your life mission, but it’s a start. Every single person who is living a life they love had to begin by asking themselves these questions. They also had to believe in themselves enough to take the risks to move in the direction of their dreams. You don’t need to quit your day job right now, but simply begin spending more time doing what you love. Reach out to make connections with others who might be able to help you with creating your dream, and continue to dream a little bigger with each day.
Also, Karen, you’re not alone on this journey, especially during times of discouragements and setbacks. There are unseen helpers — wise beings, angels, guides, loved ones who have passed — surrounding you, sending you love and peace. Take time to sit quietly and calm your mind as best you can so you can feel their presence and invite their help. Welcome their compassion and wisdom.
I have a technique I’d like to share with you that will help your unseen helpers communicate with you. It’s called, “Listen for Your Calling.” Read the rest here.
- Close your eyes, and imagine that you have a wise being who is your guide and he or she is sitting in front of you.
- Ask your wise being about your calling: “What can I do to begin to transform my hopes and dreams into a life I love?”
- Listen carefully. Is there something that emerges—an idea that you find interesting or compelling? Sometimes the calling delivers clues that no one but you can decipher.
You may get information about some steps you should begin to take or a new way of thinking about your life. Try to listen with your heart, not your head. Perhaps a thought of “I’ve always wanted to . . .” will emerge. If it makes your heart open, it’s part of your answer.
Finally, here’s what my angels said when I asked them how to help you.
- Identify your next right step. This may not be the thing Karen wants to do for the rest of her life, just a next step.
- Visualize your success.
- Move in the direction of your dream.
- Have faith things will work out in your favor.
- Follow the intuitive guidance you receive.
- Appreciate and enjoy the life you have.
There you have it, Karen! Let me know how things unfold for you!